New International Version (NIV)
The Ten Commandments
20 And God spoke all these words:
1. 3 “You shall have no other gods before[a] me.
2. 4 “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.
3. 7 “You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.
4. 8 “Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.
5. 12 “Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.
6. 13 “You shall not murder.
7. 14 “You shall not commit adultery.
8. 15 “You shall not steal.
9. 16. You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.
10. 17 “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.”...
Notice it doesn't say "like" or even "love" but it says "honor". So what does the word honor mean? We have Honor Rolls in school, Honorable Mentions and National Medals of Honor. Merriam Webster offers the following
Definition of HONOR
: a person of superior standing —now used especially as a title for a holder of high office
: one whose worth brings respect or fame : credit
plural : social courtesies or civilities extended by a host
Examples of HONOR
- These people deserve to be treated with honor.
- The team brought honor to the school.
- The building was named in honor of the city's founder.
- He was prepared to fight to defend his family's honor.
- She has a keen sense of honor.
- He would not do it as a matter of honor.
- He's a man of honor.
- It was an honor to be invited.